Friday 7 September 2018

Back on the Nivernais. (We were here Sept/Oct 2015 see more photos of this lovely area on those previous posts)

Here we are on our last cruise in France, and I'm actually loving it! This is because I'm doing my two favourite activities (pottery and cycling) as well as boating.
Fish, just finished on an upturned measuring jug - I am forced to improvise.

Yes, I'm doing pottery on the boat, and Julian is coping well with being ignored whilst I'm concentrating, plus we are surrounded by basically wet mud.

So he is working the boat single handed as I'm far to busy to be bothering with ropes every time we get to a lock, but he loves the challenge of coping smoothly with manouvering in and out of the many many locks and lock staircases and when you get into a routine it usually goes like clockwork.
Fish vessel unfired

Bird vessel.  Unfired

We have brought our car here this time, as we usually go by train, this is in preparation for clearing out the boat on our return.  So with our trusty fold up bike, I am frog hopping the car and cycling back to the boat every day which is about 20km, just about right as the fold up bike is not made for distance that's for sure.

The Nivernais is a great canal to cruise on or cycle along.  Such beautiful suroundings and interesting locks.  We went up the Sardy staircase of 16 locks yesterday, through a wooded valley.  Today bigger gaps between locks but sometimes up to 5 clustered or connected in some way.













Chateau Ratilly,  Treigny, Nievre.


Pottery on display at Chateau Ratilly.  One of my favourite chateau



Lock with VNF van.

Add caption


Auxerre





No comments:

Post a Comment